The Family...

Sunday, November 09, 2008

BOOP - there it is...

So, it's been about 5 years since I've been diagnosed with BOOP - yippee!! Sometimes I forget or just don't want to deal with it. However, I really need to take care of myself - do my lung shakes more regularly, keep track of my airflow, etc. Thinking back, that surgery came so quickly - I had a new pulmonologist who just figured something was wrong and ordered ct scans, different blood workup that only one lab in the US could test for fungus. But, she always felt it was boop. And there it was... but it's only diagnosed after a lung biopsy, totally different from a breast biopsy.

I had told my boss that I would be out for a week or two, and then found out recovery was for at least two months - it's major surgery! I certainly did not ask the right follow-up questions on that one. I ended up being out for over 4 months, after developing a staph infection in my blood and was doing iv treatments from home. But the funniest moment I remember - there are a few of them - one treatment for boop is to be on an extremely high dosage of steroids for a very long time (months). The drug that I detest more than anything - especially a high dose for a very very long time. It is surprising that I did not commit murder or end up in jail during this period. Very irritable over the slightest things, your body blows up like Charlie Brown and you just want a zipper to take off the body that has taken over. Anyway - my youngest son was very upset about something (I probably scolded him for something trivial) and I went to talk to him and he called me a "crazy lady" - which was true. He had tears and snot running down his face and I had to give him a hug and tell him that I was indeed a "crazy lady" and the drugs are my "crazy drugs" so bless my sons - they survived those six months on this high dose and my youngest son still asks me from time to time if I am taking any crazy drugs - especially if he thinks I am getting upset with him over something that is not a big deal. But if I ever need to let them know if I am back on prednisone, I just mention its my crazy drugs. oy.

But the best moment was when my oldest son was going to a Freshman dance at school. I had told him that they called me to chaperone (which of course they hadn't). I told him that I will be there, but at some point I was going to have to do my IV treatment in the school gym. (At that time, the iv treatments had the bags held up on a high pole to drip the meds, now they are all vacuum bags that you can put in your pocket) His eyes got so big with the terrified look in his eyes, and then didn't know if I was pulling his leg or not. I still chuckle over that one. It's terrible to tease your kids this way.

Tomorrow I go for my annual ct scan with contrast. Another yippee! It's always a challenge for me to hold my breath long enough for them to take the many pictures that are needed. Next week I have my regular appointment with my pulmonologist - so the films will be ready in time, but she's going to ask me if I followed-up with the doctors that replaced my thoracic surgeon. He passed away over a year ago and I miss him. I've known him longer than my husband, and we had a special relationship. For some reason, he felt comfortable sharing dirty jokes with me. His wife had me come in for a final appointment with him when they knew he wouldn't live very much longer. The leukemia came so suddenly. They are special people.

He did all of my breast biopsies, as well as my surgery on my shin after I was diagnosed with melanoma. Now I have to find three different doctors to replace him. So, that will be my next step this week, is to make those phone calls....I've put it off long enough.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • Hi Karen--

    I clicked on the BOOP and it siad the page was not avilable... I am getting an idea but still don't know what it is.

    What is more important is that you are doing OK! My goodness, what a lot to go through. I read on the next post that the CT scan went well, thank goodness. I just had an MRI and it took 2 hours. Very difficult to fight claustrophobia. Sigh...

    Everything turned out to be OK in my films though, so it was worth it.

    By Blogger Sydney, at 11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home